Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Happy Tiny Button Day!

I'll confess, tiny button day isn't a real thing, but I personally am celebrating it today.
I've been mostly good with my doll buying resolution. I know we're only on day 6 of the new year but I haven't bought a single doll so far this month. I was actually pretty good in December too with getting new dolls. I only bought one doll online that month, so I am making some progress in curbing my spending. However, I did have a minor setback, all due to the previously mentioned tiny buttons. I don't know if you remember, but over a year ago I found some "micro-buttons" at Hobby Lobby. They had a pack that had yellow, orange, blue, green, red, and purple that I bought. I looked for white or black but they didn't have either of those in stock. I loved these buttons, they look amazing on doll clothes. They're just so cute and tiny. They really add a special touch to the clothing that I've used them on.
Some colors were more popular than others. I ran out of red first and yellow is nearly depleted. However when I went to buy more at Hobby Lobby, they no longer sold them. They had cleared out the button section so they could sell their own brand of buttons, and none of those were anywhere close to the right size for Barbie doll clothes. I saw the same brand recently at Handcock Fabrics in town (we just got one at the mall), but they didn't carry the micro sized buttons. All the ones I was finding were the 1/4 inch size, which are small but way too big for Barbie. They are sold online in a few places, but all the places I found them wanted a lot for shipping. I mean these buttons cost 2.29 a pack I'm not going to spend 4 dollars plus on shipping. It would just be so much easier if someone locally (or not even that locally) had them in stock. I even tried finding out if Handcock would order something for you, but I never found a real answer. I assume they don't.
After giving up finding them cheaply I had a thought; I should check Amazon. They literally have everything. I checked and they did have them, some of them were even on sale! Some of them even had free shipping for prime members if you were ordering 25 dollars worth of stuff (we have prime thanks to my sister). I told this information to my mother and she was just happening to be placing an Amazon order right then, so I was able to add my buttons to that order for free shipping!
I bought 10 dollars worth of buttons.

Like I said, some of the buttons were on sale for half off. They had four different kinds on sale, I bought two of each pack. I figured that I might as well buy them and not have to get them again for a
long time. They had black, "Christmas" (green and red), a pink micro/mini shapes pack (tiny buttons and larger heart and star buttons), and a "romantic" color pack (ruddy tans, purples, greens, and blues). I ordered them on Friday and arrived on Tuesday. I took them all out of their original packaging and counted how many of I got of each type.
Combined the black pack had 99 buttons. There should have been 100 (50
per pack), but one package had just 49. Which isn't a huge deal, that was the only pack that was underfilled. All the rest of them had well over their stated piece amount. In the Christmas packs (which I did not count separately I just dumped together and counted) I had 58 red and 62 greens. I still need to compare them to see if these are the same colors as the original colored set I bought. In the pink set, I got 36 of the star buttons, 51 heart buttons (each button also had different shades but I didn't bother counting how many of each color I had), it also had 17 hot pink micro buttons, 12 medium pink micro buttons, and 22 light pink micro buttons. In the the "romantic" color packs I got 14 green-gray buttons, 22 green tone buttons, 32 blue tone buttons, 25 purple buttons, and 29 tan tone buttons. I also got a small piece of blue plastic that wasn't a button. In that pack there were several different shades of buttons but I wasn't sure if that was a separate color or just a color variance within the plastic. 
So I got a fair amount of each kind. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. I'm not expecting to need to reorder these buttons for a while, but I am keeping tabs on when white goes on sale since I know that one I'll find uses for. I'd also like to pick up some of the other colors just because I like having the variety. I will say that I most likely will not get the "romance" pack again. The colors are just not that attractive. If your romance is that color, it should be taken out back and buried. I probably won't buy the pink set again either. I love the color of the buttons I got and really think they'd work well for my purposes but I just don't need the mini heart and star buttons. I think they'll work nicely for Barbie sized brooches, but how many of those do I need? After looking at the other buttons they have for sale, they do have pink packs that's just micro buttons, they just none on sale at that time. Now that I have some I can wait until they're on sale to get more if I want them.

And for people curious, these buttons are extremely close to vintage Mattel ones. Here's an orange one (one of the older ones but the new ones are exactly the same size) next to a vintage Mattel button I took off a Best Buy dress. The new button is a lot less opaque than the vintage one but they look nearly identical.

2 comments:

  1. Tiny buttons!!! They're so cute. <3

    I'm glad you found some at a reasonable price. Otherwise, I was going to suggest making your own out of polymer clay, using those little coffee stirrer straws to punch out the shapes and pins to make the holes. I'm crazy enough to do this, but not everyone is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink heart buttons would be cute if only they were smaller.

    Someone on Flickr suggested making tiny buttons from thin plastic with a hole punch (the kind you use for leather). It works, but since the plastic can't be too thick they tend to get a bit flimsy, plus it can be tricky to make the holes. Clay probably looks better.

    ReplyDelete