Monday, June 22, 2015

New Doll Talk (Disney)

Disney finally released the 2015 Classic Doll collection on their website. I've been obsessively checking the website for weeks looking for the new dolls. They typically release the dolls in early June, but this year they've been dragging out their "Twice Upon a Year" sale and held off releasing the new dolls until they sold out of the old dolls. But now they've released the images I can see what's new, what's not new, and what I want to buy. However I won't be placing an order right away. I need to wait for two things, Disney to have their 25 percent off sale and for other people to get the dolls first to see if there's any new shoe colors to be had.

Interesting thing to note, the dolls have gone up in price. They used to be 14.95 when I started looking at them, but they've now gone up to 16.95. They still have the buy 2 for 10 dollars each sale, so at this point it's almost the same price point to buy two compared to one. The Frozen dolls have finally joined the Classic collection (and being included in the buy more sale), so they've actually gone down a dollar in price. Time will tell if the female dolls still have the jointed knees and ankles or if they'll have the rubber legs like the other dolls.

Based on what I've seen I'm going to talk about the dolls, but just what I think. These will all be my personal opinions, so not everyone will agree.

The Good: Since I am still obsessing about those Disney flat shoes, I'm pleased to see that they're still using them (you can see Snow White has them since her dress is tea length). Hopefully this means the other dolls will have them as well. Tiana has gotten a costume change. She used to wear her lily pad wedding dress, she now is in the blue dress she wears at the costume party. I'm glad they changed it, while the other dress was pretty I like the blue dress better. Also Disney's been cheaping out and just painting her necklace on as a series of gold dots. I'd rather not have the necklace compared to an oddly stylized painted one. Rapunzel's eyes have changed from last year. They now look bigger and she seems to have fuller eyelashes. They could be rather vacant, but I find something compelling about them. Pocahontas has changed a little too. I think her lips are bigger, but she now has side glancing eyes, which I think really works for the character. And the biggest change to this line this year was the Prince dolls, they've all gotten new faces. They're now using the face molds from the designer collection dolls, which are quite a change from their old versions. Some of them are more successful than other in looking like their animated counterparts, but there's a lot of nice faces there and there's always new room for male doll sculpts since there's not as many of them out there.

The Bad: Mulan keeps getting ignored. I'm pretty sure the 2015 doll is exactly the same as the 2014 version, very little has changed if there's any differances. Merida also suffers from the repeating of last year. At least the other Princesses have had something change for this year, however very little has changed for most of them. I'm really not expecting a lot of differences in their shoe colors from last year to this year. The only one I can think will change is Cinderella, but I might have all the variations they can do for that. I'm hoping Belle has different colored shoes (hers and Snow White's shoes are the same color), but I doubt they will. The sad thing is, three of the dolls don't get shoes. This has always bugged me, they're little pieces of molded rubber, why can't each doll have shoes included? They're designed to have their outfits changed, why can't they get shoes? The prince dolls have their own shoe issues. Their feet are roughly Ken sized, but their shoes are HUGE. I don't know why, but their shoes are way, way, way too big for them. You know your shoes are too big when Joe can wear them and they're still way too big on him. The Prince dolls also suffer from some of the worst bodies. Static joints, hinged elbows, minimally bending rubber legs, they're just a mess and just terrible. I wish they would redo the bodies, even to just give them wrist articulation. Sadly, they are an afterthought compared to the Princesses. I'm going to have to look and see what's out there for body replacements for them.

The Ugly: Those darn rubber legs. I just hate them. They stink, they break easily, and they don't look very nice. The sad thing is that Disney has a really nice articulated leg they should be using, they just need to work out the flaws. They need to redesign the hip opening on the torso so the doll's can sit properly (they need to do this period since the rubber legged doll's can't sit properly either) and they need to make the lower legs out of a hard plastic to avoid the bow legged issues the doll's get. A really simple fix they haven't managed to do. And speaking of bodies, the beast now has a body with molded on beast hands and legs, BUT his head is designed to come off I assume revealing the prince after his transformation.... but that leaves him with a human head and beast arms and legs in an unholy mishmash of parts. How creepy is that? Also, sadly this new collection seems to have eliminated the Villain dolls from the line. The Classic line used to have several other dolls other than the Princesses and the Princes. It used to have villains, friends, family, and magical helpers but they've all be dropped from the line. The last hold outs were the villains, but I guess even they couldn't last forever. I was hoping to see some new dolls joining the collection this year, but I guess they're not interested in adding more to the line.

Top Wants: Prince Charming (love his face mold) and Tiana (Want to steal her dress, shoes, and tiara)
Medium Wants: Prince Phillip (for his clothes and different face mold and The Prince (Snow White; also to steal his clothes and for his different face mold), Rapunzel (like the updated face paint)

The rest of them I'm only interested in if they have different colored shoes than what I already have. And speaking of shoes, they still haven't released the Rosetta Fluttering doll here in the US! I'm not sure why they're being so hesitant about releasing it over here when it's in the UK, European, and Japanese online stores. I want her red shoes darn it! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Aubrey,
    What! No Mulan!!!
    I'm boycotting!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete