Saturday, March 26, 2016

Hang Ups, Literally

So I started off March being very good with doll purchases, then I decided I wanted to buy a big ticket item that was on my want list, then once that happened it was a free for all on my wallet. I spent a lot on things, some of it I'll be reimbursed for, but boy did my bank account take a hit.

I do plan on sharing most of it, not all of it since some of it was clothes for me and I doubt people care about seeing that, but I will share the doll stuff.

My most recent purchase for the month was a lot of Barbie accessories from Etsy. It was a really random lot that ranged from the early 1960's, to the mid 1990's. I didn't look too in depth at everything in the listing, but from what I saw it was definitely worth the 25 dollars including shipping it cost me. It arrived yesterday and I am very pleased with my purchase. It's a LOT of stuff, so I'm going to break the sharing posts where I talk about it over several days (perhaps weeks).

Today is all about hangers. I love hangers since I have a garment rack I made that I keep some of my doll clothes. I used to have two but recently have downsized to one due to space limitation. Despite starting out with no hangers, I now have lots of hangers to spare since I've been surprisingly successful at collecting them up despite never buying any specifically.

This lot had a lot of familiar hangers. Up first we have some standard red generic doll hangers. They're made from a hard plastic and are totally unmarked. I have other hangers like them marked Hong Kong, so I bet these are around the same time, 60's to 70's. I have eight of them, and they're mostly in good shape. There's one that the shoulder strap part is broken (but I never use that anyway since they're more likely to snag clothes than keep them on the hanger). There are a little rough around the edges in spots, but that's nothing a little time with a nail file can't fix.

After that we have the same type of hanger, just in different colors. Exactly same as the red ones we have some unmarked and in decent condition but need some slight work hangers. We have three white ones and one green one. One of the white ones has broken, but I do have both pieces and have repaired them before so I'm confident that I can fix that one so it can be used again.

Moving on from that we just ahead several decades to hangers that I'm pretty sure I had growing up, and ones I currently have in my spare hanger bags. There's a green hanger with a heart decoration. Pretty standard, this one is actually marked China. It's cute, but these kinds are hard to use with my garment rack, the dowels tend to be too thick for it. But a hanger is still a hanger. Also we have two unmarked pink hangers with bars on the bottom that can be used for hanging pants and things like that. I'm glad I got these, they're really nice for pants and since I keep lots of Joe's wardrobe separated I can always use more pants hangers. They could use some light filing, but their plastic isn't as sharp at the first hangers so I'm less worried about them damaging clothes if I use them as is.

After that we get into vintage Mattel made hangers! I don't have too many of them, and while I know they don't sell for very much they're still worth something and add value to the lot. Up first we have a set of green filigree hangers. These are the generic ones that don't have any molded in names so they could go to any doll's outfits. I think they sold them in sets too. I have four of them and they're all in really nice shape. One of them has a little bit of plastic that needs trimming off, but one quick pass with the Exacto knife and we're good to go.

Next we have some Francie filigree hangers. These are the ones with Francie's name molded into them and came with her outfits. We have two medium green ones and a white one. They look to be in really great shape. I don't think I have any Francie hangers so these are a nice addition to my collection. They're so cute! And delicate! Interesting note that it's a different hand writing for the "signed" hangers (Barbie, Francie, and Skipper). I wonder if these are based off their official signatures at the time from Mattel. It's a really cute small touch.

And finally for our hanger assortment, we have some Barbie hangers. Just like with the Francie hangers they have Barbie's name molded into them. I have a hot pink one, but also a gold/bronze/mustard colored one. The pink one is common, but I've never seen the other color before. I've done some research and haven't found out where it came from yet. If I do, I'll update this post.  

So that's all the hangers that came in the lot, a pretty decent amount. And while I didn't buy the lot for the hangers, it's always nice being able to get something I can use. Stay tuned for part 2!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny reading this because I just came upon a whole baggie of hangers. I'm really working on organizing and selling this year. I've seen all the ones pictured before except the bronze one. I'm intrigued which outfit it might have come with

    ReplyDelete