Monday, May 23, 2016

This Chair Feels Juuuuuuuust Right

It's been an expensive month so far. Hot on the heels of saying I was bored with vintage dolls I ended up buying two of them. However they weren't Barbie, she's still boring me, although I did have to talk myself out of buying a TLC Talking Christie the other day. I really do not need another project to never finish. My new dolls are still on their way from Japan so this post isn't about them. Since I've been so bad lately I want to be better about other things mainly listing stuff on E-bay and talking about stuff on here. So today you get to hear all about today's new arrival.

This post isn't about Barbie, it's actually about Ginny... well, her furniture. 

Growing up I had some doll furniture. It was a table and some chairs made by Hall's Lifetime Toys for Ginny sized dolls. It was my Great-Aunt's growing up and when my Great-Grandmother passed away my mother ended up with them. They were sturdy wooden toys, but I was not a careful child and they ended up getting ruined. One of the chairs did survive into my childhood years, but it too ended up getting ruined. All I have left of that is part of the back rest with a couple of the spindles. As an adult I was upset with my carelessness and did feel bad ruining one of my mother's childhood mementos. I wanted to get a replacement for it, but it wasn't easy. They tended to be rather pricey and while I wanted another set it wasn't a top priority. I knew that someday they would be mine once again.

The other day I was searching E-bay (a major weakness of mine). Sometimes Ginny furniture gets listed under Barbie even though Ginny is 8 inches compared to Barbie's 11.5. Someone had listed some Ginny furniture, not the right kind but it get me thinking and searching. I searched for Hall's furniture and that pulled up mostly dollhouse scale furniture. I also did a search for wooden Ginny doll furniture and there, low and behold was the same from my childhood. A table and three captain chairs. They were pre-loved, but not in terrible condition (and certainly better than my original set). They were an auction with several days to go without any bidders. I put them under my watch list and waited. On the last day with several hours to go there were still no bidders. I put in my bid and walked away. I couldn't be there when the auction ended since I had to work, but once I got home I saw that I had won them for the opening bid. I got lucky since they weren't identified beyond being wooden doll furniture and I got them for 15 dollars plus 10 dollars shipping. Not too bad since I couldn't even get new furniture for that price. Even plastic furniture would set me back roughly that much. The seller got them into the mail on Saturday and by Monday they were in my hot little hands.

Our first item is the table. Made from wood it has a lovely cherry finish. It has a circular top with four legs on an angle. I think one of the legs has been re-glued since it's not as angled as the other three. That leg is a little loose, so hopefully I can remove it and fix it. It does throw off the balance of the table. It's not a huge issue since it's not like it's a real table or anything, I'd just prefer it being more level. The table is in very nice shape, on the bottom there is a scratch, but other than that it looks to be in decent shape.

Since Ginny is 8" tall and I don't have one Penny Brite offered to be our model. Here you can see her against the table and see how her proportions line up. I have my hand on her head since Penny decided she didn't want to stand up and I had a hard time propping her up. (Why must models be so difficult?!?)

I also got three chairs along with the table. I'm not sure if I had three as well, I know I had at least two. Two of them have the same Cherry finish as the table, and one is noticeably darker. *Edit* They were sold two to a set, the third one must have come from a different set. In childhood I used the last remaining one as a office chair for Joe in the "Barbie House" (a bookshelf that I made into a Barbie house that I LOVED). They are really neat chairs with a curved back. All of the chairs are in more played with condition than the table. They have some pitting, some scratches, and what looks like some melting to the varnish (I honestly have no idea what caused that). One of them has bunch of marks to the side of the seat, either something was chewing it, or something was stabbed there. I'm not too bothered since I didn't pay very much, and if I want to restore it I should be able to. 

To accommodate Ginny they are low to the ground and have a very wide seat. Most dolls had the V-shaped hip joint and didn't sit like a lady. Penny Brite sits like a sailor so you can see how comfortably the wide seat accommodates her legs.


Even being so low, the chair can still work for other dolls, you just have to cheat out how they sit. Here we have Mari on a made to move body sitting on the chair with her legs bent to the side. Dolls with a hinged knee can also sit on the chair, they just need to have their feet further out in front of them. It's not the most natural look, but they can still use the chairs.

When they're seated at the table, you really can't tell how short the chairs are. 

 
I put Joe in the picture to show that even a larger doll can still use these chairs without it looking odd. I can put vintage Barbies on the chairs as well, I'd just have to position their legs so that they weren't pushing each other away from the table. I did try the chairs with a Homme doll, I had the hardest time with them since their legs are so long. They can sit at the table, but the other dolls would need to move their legs out of the way. Side note, you can't tell, but Joe's not wearing pants in these pictures. It's nothing inappropriate, I was just too lazy to dig out a pair. I did however dig out some glasses for him because, you know, priorities.


Right now my plans are to use this table and chairs for the Momoko dolls. Right now they're all posed sitting in wicker chairs with a small wicker table in front of them so I think I will swap that out for this one. The only issue is that there's only three chairs and I have four Momoko dolls. We're going to have to play musical chairs!

While we're on the subject of Hall's furniture, that's not the only piece I have. Couple months back I found someone selling a rocking chair from them. The table and chair set wasn't on the horizon, and it was only 20 dollars shipped. So I bought it. It's got some minor pitting to the top piece and some blue paint on one of the arm rests, but it's still so cute. Also the top piece is a little slanted to one side. Penny Brite was kind enough to stand for this one so you can see how tall she is compared to it.

Mari can still sit in it, it's a bit low but doesn't look too weird. I could also add a cushion to it to give the seat a bit more height and raise Barbie sized dolls to a little more natural height.

So that's my Hall's Lifetime doll furniture collection. I'm not sure if I'll get any more of it. From my research it appears there's a lot of different ones out there, including different styles. The dining room "set" also included a hutch and buffet. The dining room set also came with a square table and different style chairs. There is also a bedroom set that had a four post bed, a vanity with a stool, a dresser, and a bureau in the wood. A couple places there's a desk and chair set but it looks like those are only in white. Also in white there's a nursery set and a set of double beds with trays so the doll can eat in bed. Apparently the double bed set was made for Barbie sized dolls, so it should fit her. I don't think I'll actively seek out any more furniture, but I wouldn't not get it if I found it. I actually do like the vanity and the white desk set and the double beds are pretty cute. I wonder if Joe would fit in one.....  

1 comment:

  1. This is a very nice set. Thank you for showing it to us.

    ReplyDelete