Friday, January 1, 2021

New Year, Same Old Me

 Hello Dear Readers! 

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holidays! Happy 2021! 

One of the things I would like to do is to get back into blogging. Of course, I'm saying this after a December that I was mostly on vacation and once I get back to real life, I'm sure things will be a lot less fun (and I'll be a lot less motivated!). 

Today marks the first day of a seven day no buying situation for me. My goal this year is every month to take a week where I don't buy anything frivolous. I spent a lot in November and December and I need to focus on clearing out stuff instead of adding more. This post I am not going to talk about what I bought, but what I want to buy (window shopping is still allowed). 

The Mickey Mouse collection is still going strong. I've crossed off a few things from my wish list and ended up adding a few things that I wasn't planning on since I found them for a good price. In this post I'm going to share my current wish list, it helps keep me focused and it might be nice seeing what I actually got and what I am still looking for later in the year. I will say that I own none of these pictures, and will remove if asked. The post isn't in any order, just as an overall list. 

Bisque figurines: These were kinda the catalyst for my collection. My Grandfather had several of these from his childhood so I have the most personal attachment to them. Ironically, the ones I'm looking for are ones he didn't own. I am looking for two different ones. The first one is the flag bearer from the solider set. This is part of a three part set and I own the other two, so I would like to get the last one. He does seem harder to find though. 

 

The second one is a larger bisque figurine of Mickey Mouse with a banjo. My Grandfather played the banjo, so any vintage Mickey Mouse items with a banjo something I automatically like. These tend to be more expensive, so I haven't purchased one yet. There might be two different versions of this figurine (based on size), but it could just be different colors. If there's two sizes, I want both of them. 

    


Books: Books have been tricky. I wanted some "Big Little" books from the original plan for the collection, but could never figure out which ones I wanted. None of them really spoke to me. I did recently buy one (and am still waiting for it in the mail), but I wanted two for the display. However, I noticed a theme in 1930's Mickey Mouse merchandise. There's a certain pose that is repeated on different products (I assume it was an approved image from Disney). I already have a cup with that image, so I think it would be cool to have the matching Big Little Book:



There's also an older version of the book with a super creepy cover that I do *not* want. (Which would explain why Disney provided their own images).

 Book Bank: In the same mindset of the Little Big book, there is a book bank that uses the same image. This comes in a variety of colors, but the image is the same. I think it's kinda neat, so it's a new addition to the want list. Not in love with the fake leather they're made out of (they don't hold up over time), but it's on the list. These tend to go for a lot, so I'm waiting for one that's not in too rough of condition that I can afford.  


Ornaments: This is more of a stand in and one where I am willing to break my vintage rules. I would be fine with ornaments that look vintage. In my Grandfather's collection there are two celluloid figurines of Mickey and Minnie. I recently learned that they came off a larger play set. However in my lifetime they were used as Christmas ornaments. In time, I would like to get them, but I'm fine waiting (and might never get them). I do have a new Mickey Mouse ornament Tree display stand, so I would like to get two ornaments to display on it. I've done a lot of research, but haven't found the right ones yet. I'm still seeing what's out there. I want something that looks vintage and compliment each other.



Film Reel: I really just like the graphics on the box. I saw this listed as a 1940's item, so it might be outside of my time frame, but I still like it. I know my Grandfather had one of these, but when I was last visiting my Grandmother I could not find it, so who knows where it ended up. This is a pretty low want (especially if I can find his original one), so I am trying to find it cheaply. 


 

Production Drawing: Even before the Mickey Mouse collection began I dabbled in production art. Some Disney, but not Mickey Mouse. I would like to add a Mickey Mouse production drawing to my collection, but finding one at an affordable price is easier said than done. A cel would be cool, they don't seem to turn up very often and I'm sure they would be very, very, very expensive. 


 

Mickey Mouse Christmas Magazine: I am a sucker for vintage Mickey Mouse Christmas stuff. I really love the image of one of the Mickey Mouse magazine covers from the 1930's. There is a modern ornament that uses the same image, but even that is expensive. Still is super cute and would love to add it to the collection.

 

Honorable Mentions, things that I like, but don't love:

Silver Plated Cup: There is one of Mickey playing a banjo that I already own and I have a couple others, I really like them. I know of at least three other images from the same company, including the Minnie Mouse one shown here. I don't need, need them, but if I found one cheaply I would get it. 

Donald Duck Book: I am trying to keep the collection mainly Mickey, but I am having a hard time avoiding this Donald Duck book. It is cowboy themed, which is another thing my Grandfather liked as a child, but I'm still on the fence about it. It is later then what I wanted for the collection, but the pencil case I have (which is also cowboy themed), is from the same time, so I've already broken that rule. 


Donal Duck Bisque Figurine: I already have Donald Duck that's on a toothbrush holder, but I kind of want a stand alone figurine too. They tend to be pretty expensive, and I haven't found one that I really loved. I would want a long billed Donald. 


Mickey Mouse Top: Growing up at my Grandparent's house, there was a spinning top, I assume from my mother's generation. Eventually it went away because after decades of use, the spiral metal at the  top that you press in, became razor sharp. I think a Mickey Mouse themed top would be a nice connection to that toy. There's a version from the 1930's and one that I think is from the 1970's with vintage inspired art. I might be willing to make an exception for that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment