Monday, December 11, 2017

What's Behind Door #11? A Christmas Surprise!

Welcome to day 11 of our Christmas Calendar unboxing!
As you may have noticed (and really should have expected) I got a little behind and am working hard to get all caught up. With this post I'll be back to being all caught up!

Our day 11 chocolate door is located one row to the right of the day 8 door. There's four doors per row and we've now done 3/4 of this row. *Spoiler Alert*, this is going to be the first row we complete for a Christmas Bingo, if that were a thing that is.

This door is part of the manger scene in front of the Christmas tree. It has a cow staring in a window at Mary and Baby Jesus. I don't know why they felt the need to add that voyeuristic cow.

Anyway, pulling back the door gives us....


A snowman! A very yellow snowman...
Avoid yellow snow people, seriously.
I assume this was done to differentiate between the image and the white backing of the box.
The chocolate pieces haven't been nearly as detailed as the images, but check out that chocolate snowman. The chocolate piece looks like a snowman in the later winter months.

Frosty's gonna melt!


Our Barbie door is located at the very top right corner of the box, underneath the image of Barbie as a vet with a pink sheath dress, and a while lab coat. I wonder what it could be...


We open the door and find....


A stethoscope

Great, now I'm going to have to spell stethoscope over and over.
Barbie's stethoscope is made from a silver colored plastic, the same plastic as the skating ornament I believe. It looks pretty realistic. However, I think the bottom part is reversed. The flat part is supposed to be facing Barbie's chest, but Mattel has it facing away from her. A minor issue, but I did notice it (but I bet a kid wouldn't). It does suffer from some design issues. The plastic used to make it is rather stiff, so when the doll is wearing it, the bottom part juts out in front of her.

It's hard to tell in the pictures but the bottom part of the stethoscope has enough space between it and the doll I could pass my fingers between them. I have some plastic necklaces from Mattel where they compensate for that and mold it so it's more form fitting for the doll's body but this one doesn't have that. It does have enough give so you can put it in the doll's ears but it does want to try and turn since it doesn't want to be stretched like that. So it's possible to include it in play, but you'll have to keep adjusting it since it will slip out of the doll's ears. There is no way for Barbie hold or actually use it realistically as a stethoscope, but it does add some realism to the outfit.
I haven't tried it with a doll with a smaller head, but I wonder if it'll work better for someone like that.

See everyone tomorrow for day 12!



1 comment:

  1. Well, the white coat was a dead giveaway that she'd be something like this. I wonder if you could make the shape adapt a bit better to the doll by warming it with a blow dryer.

    ReplyDelete