Sunday, December 24, 2017

What's Behind Door #24? A Christmas Surprise!

Hello Everyone and Welcome to Day 24 of our advent calendar unboxing!
Christmas Eve edition! 
I'm a little behind at the moment, I spent today finishing up all my wrapping (I got some done earlier, but still had a big chunk left to finish) and I also made the desserts for tomorrow. We're having cheesecake mousse and chocolate chip cookies. 

We find our day 24 door completely covered by the illustration of the Christmas tree. This calendar doesn't have a true center, but it's just to the right of the center. Today's door is double the size of the regular doors!

We open it to find...


a large chocolate Santa!

This chocolate is a lot more detailed than the previous ones, which supports my cobbled together molds from several sources theory.

And that is the finale of the chocolate calendar.

After finishing that up, I took it apart to see why the doors were so high for a lot of the chocolate. The clear plastic tray that houses the chocolate pieces is glued in several places to the box. Mine just got glued a little low. It didn't change the usefulness of the calendar, it was just a small cosmetic issue.

Barbie's door is on the first row over from the door with the doll on it. 
It's under the image of Barbie baking.

I also accidentally tore that door off too.  

Under that door we find....



some skis!

Made from that same silver/gray plastic these skis are a very realistic representation of the actual thing. They have a section in the middle for the ski boots to fit into. They fit snugly but not too tight. They will come off without too much effort but I think they'll stay on for average play. That does limit their use for dolls with larger feet (sorry Joe, no skiing for you). On both skis on the front and back there's some very pretty snowflake decorations. See Mattel, that's what I wanted on the ballerina outfit! 

Here's a very cropped picture of the entire outfit:

(Things are a bit of a mess and my usual photo taking section is not able to be used right now).


And that was the Barbie calendar. 
So was this set worth what I paid for? I say yes, but with a but. I got this calendar on sale for 15 dollars which I think definitely made it more worth it. Also I got to share it with you all, which again added to it's value. I think as a child I would have been a lot more impressed with the set compared to an adult. There were some really nice things in the set (the body suit, the tutu, the ice skates, and others), but there were lots of things that had construction issues or were slightly lazy choices for the set (the tiara, the doctor's jacket, the pink dress). I think I got my money's worth, but I don't know how much of this set will be used in my day to day collection. I've already moved a few things into the donate pile because I just don't see me using them ever. I think it's cute and if I got another decent price I think I'd buy another one, but I don't think this is the *best advent calendar ever*.

Thanks for joining me!

2 comments:

  1. I did really enjoy your sharing of the opening of the advent calendars! The chocolate one was really great and the Barbie one was just fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to see the items in your advent calendar. If I find some next Christmas I'll definitely keep it mind for someone just starting out on Barbies because, as you mentioned, many designs are items you'd already have if you'd been collecting for a while. The chocolate one? It was chocolates, so I had no complaints:D

    ReplyDelete