Monday, December 18, 2017

What's Behind Door #18? A Christmas Surprise!

Hello Everyone and Welcome to Day 18 of our Advent Calendar Unboxing!

I'm going to start off today with a little venting, because ya know, that's what I do. 
I had someone bid on something I had listed on E-bay early last week. The auction ended on Sunday and this morning I woke up to two messages from them saying their phone had been stolen for 5 days, and they "never authorized" this sale and demanded I cancel the bid. 
I have no problem cancelling the bid, I mean I don't like it, but it saves me time and money from them getting it and just returning it since under E-bay's rules they can do that. However I didn't appreciate their tone. I personally did not steal her phone and bid on this item, so I don't understand why she's being so snippy to me. A bid was placed, time ticked by until the auction ended, and E-bay notified her she won. Why is she being so rude to me?
I did cancel the bid and didn't bother replying to her. She's rude and not a customer so I'm not going to waste my time. I did check her past purchases and most of the sellers she bought from were doll sellers, so it's not out of the realm of what she usually buys. Oh, and the kicker? The entire thing including shipping was going to be under 10 dollars. Not to say that she should have sucked it up and paid, but for someone who lost their phone (and never changed their password or even checked as to what was going on with their signed in E-bay account) it could have been a lot more expensive.

I'm assuming she had buyer's remorse and decided to be a jerk about it. 
But whatever, she sounds like a miserable person, but I just wanted to vent.

Anyway, onto our Advent calendars! Our Day 18 chocolate door is located on the top of the row on the far right. It's got a space for a door above it, but there's no door so it's the first one on the row. It features the top of a window where there's two kids creepily peeking out from the bottom.
  That boy has an odd shaped head.

We open the door to find...


A rocking horse! 

It's a cute little classic rocking horse. Did anyone have a rocking horse growing up? I remember one of those newer (but still old) style ones that didn't rock but had springs so you could bounce on it. I can't remember using it personally, but I remember it being around when my brother was young. I can't remember if we had it when I was little or if it was a newer addition.

Our day 18 Barbie door is located one row to the right of the center of the packaging on the very bottom row. It's just below the day 15 door, we know that already since we got a sneak peek of the contents of this door poking through the bottom of the day 15 door.


Opening the door we find...


an apron!

The body of the apron is made from a thin white broadcloth and has a synthetic knit ruffle that goes all the way around it. It has a ribbon waistband that allows it to tie in the back. There's some minor cosmetic issues to the top stitching to the apron itself, but the construction is pretty nice. However, nothing than the white fabric itself has a finished edge. The edges of the ruffle have nothing on them to keep them from fraying. It's not even cut on a bias to help deter it from fraying. This fabric isn't terribly prone to fraying, but it will get some pretty ragged edges with normal play. If they didn't want to hem it, they could have used ribbons to finish it instead of cut fabric. And speaking of ribbons, there's also nothing on the ends of the ribbons for the waistband, no glue, no heat sealing. And those came frayed right out of the package. It's still super cute and I can treat the edges myself, however I really think Mattel should have done something to them so I didn't have to.

And I believe that's the last piece of the baking set. Here's everything all together (but with swapped out shoes):


I actually like this set. The apron does a nice job of covering how baggy the dress is in the hips. I think the apron is cute, I like the cookie plate, the muffin tin, and while I think the chef had is a little odd choice when put all together with the casual baking outfit I do like having it. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

1 comment:

  1. You're right this should have been done with ribbon to avoid fraying.

    Who has their phone stolen for five days? Lol. Even losing it for five days never happens now that so much stuff is done with our phones. I imagine some of the holiday bills are starting to trickle into her mailbox.
    Marucha

    ReplyDelete